Pulmonary hypertension is a disease characterized by an abnormally high blood pressure in the lungs. Patients generally have exercise intolerance, which may be associated with progressive shortness of breath, fatigue, palpitations, lightheaded spells, chest discomfort, or ankle swelling.
The Pulmonary Hypertension Program at Pacific Pulmonary Medical Group is devoted to providing thorough evaluation, treatment, and follow-up for all patients with pulmonary hypertension.
A complete evaluation of patients with pulmonary hypertension is required to provide the optimal treatment to each individual. Services offered include:
· Step-wise evaluation to determine the cause, severity, and prognosis of the disease.
. Pulmonary function testing including oxygen assessments
. Sleep testing
. State-of-the-art diagnostic techniques for pulmonary hypertension, including advanced imaging methods:
o 2-D and 3-D echocardiography
o Exercise echocardiography
. State-of-the-art cardiac catheterization laboratory that is equipped to do elaborate and highly specialized right cardiac catheterization. Tests include:
o Vasodilatory tests most commonly using inhaled Nitric Oxide
o Fluid challenge
o Exercise challenge
· A team of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and quality-tested systems that provide effective complex therapies to the patients in safe environment. Such FDA-approved specific therapies for pulmonary hypertension include:
o Oral therapies: Sildenafil, Ambrisentan
o Inhaled therapies: Treprostinil, Iloprost
o Continuous infusion therapy: Intravenous and sub-cutaneous, Epoprostenol, Treprostinil
· Participation in clinical trials for treatment of pulmonary hypertension may be available to provide promising investigational drugs to appropriate pulmonary hypertension patients.
· Ongoing research projects for finding a new, non-invasive imaging techniques for the evaluation of disease progression and complications
· Evaluation for heart-lung transplantation
· Comprehensive patient education system for the patient and their family
The Pulmonary Hypertension program at PPMG, is the only dedicated program in the Riverside County and surrounding areas, providing and maintaining the highest standard of acute as well as chronic care, utilizing proven effective treatments and, where appropriate, new and pioneering therapies.
Please call us to request an appointment today at (951) 781-3672.